Reena is a non-profit organization that has provided community services for people with developmental disabilities while promoting dignity, individuality, independence, personal growth and community inclusion within a framework of Jewish culture and values since 1973. Reena advocates for people, and supports individuals to develop spiritually, feel a connection and sense of belonging to their roots, culture and community, but also encourages the expression of everyone’s culture and religious roots, regardless of background and denomination.
The Direct Support Professional (DSP) is responsible to support individuals with developmental disabilities to live in a state of dignity, to share in all elements of living in the community and to provide the opportunity to participate fully. These supports shall be provided in a manner that promotes the care, welfare, safety and security of the supported individuals. The position will represent Reena in a manner that conveys the nature and philosophy of the organization, and promotes the concept of inclusive communities. This role is in line with Reena’s philosophy of community integration, mandate, mission and living within a Judaic framework, and will adhere to the Reena’s policies and procedures at all times.
- Discusses necessary information with the Full Time DSP and when necessary Direct Support Supervisor and co-workers at the beginning and conclusion of scheduled shifts as well as maintains communication and cooperates with team members during shifts and at team meetings.
- Provides supports based on the person’s needs and desires as per Individual Support Plan.
- Encourages personal growth and learning from life’s experiences and opportunities.
- Enhances public awareness through respectful and dignified interactions.
- Ensures human rights are upheld.
- Presents as a positive and professional role model to individuals.
- Educates persons with a developmental disability regarding their responsibilities in maintaining respect.
- Maintains individuals’ confidentiality.
- Responds to problems promptly.
- Provides support to individuals by attending to all medical needs as they arise.
- Assists individuals with banking, budgeting, purchasing and managing finances as needed.
- Acts as a custodian for the household/location budget as required or assigned.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Life Skills Development
- Assists the individual o determine his or her personalized goals.
- Provides assistance to individuals with all aspects of daily living skills as per the do-with model.
- Provides assistance to individuals to enhance his or her interpersonal and social skills.
- Monitors individuals’ skill levels and adjusts manner of support to suit learning/communication styles and goals.
- Provides assistance in the implementation of programs identified for each individual; plans ahead for contingency plans.
- Works in collaboration with the individuals to plan appropriate programs based on the interests and needs of the individuals.
- Provides assistance to individuals with regards to his or her activities done in leisure time by planning and participating in activities.
- Promotes and advocates for community inclusion and participation.
- Provides education and assistance to individuals with regards to awareness of one’s Judaic heritage or any other religious or spiritual background.
Interpersonal Skills and Communication Development
- Supports individual to increase his or her ability to understand and express wants and needs; accesses services and supports to enhance communication abilities.
- Adjusts expressive language to suit the communication needs of the individual.
- Promotes family involvement by ongoing communication with family members and significant others.
- Maintains ongoing communication between the individuals’ day, recreational, respite and/or vocational programs, employers and residential staff members.
- Completes mandatory and recommended training as scheduled either in-class or through E-learning, and external training where applicable.
- Assists in the location specific orientation and training of new employees, relief staff and students on placement as required.
- Reads on an ongoing basis any new documentation, as directed by the Direct Support Supervisor.
- Checks Reena emails, phone messages and mail slot on a regular basis, while on shift.
- Participates in regularly scheduled supervisions, team meetings and annual performance review.
- Submits daily time reporting.
- Completes all documentation that includes but is not limited to; daily records, logs, charts and other reports as required on Sharevision.
- Certified as one of the following Disability Support Worker (DSW), Personal Support Worker (PSW), Social Services Worker (SSW), Social Worker (SW), Child and Youth Worker (CYW) or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum one (1) year of experience in the field of Social Services required
- A valid Standard First Aid CPR/AED Level C certificate required
- A valid G driver’s license
- Ability to work with individuals with a developmental disability with complex mental health issues, and responsive behaviors
- Ability to work collaboratively with multidisciplinary team including health care practitioners i.e. behavior therapist, occupational therapist, social worker, nutritionist
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to take initiative, plan ahead, find creative solutions to individual needs and manage caseload
- Excellent listening and communication skills, written and verbal, as well as problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills, and ability to complete online charting
Reena is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com